The Ferenc Puskás Stadium, formerly known as the People’s Stadium, is the most important and largest sports institution of Hungary. This is the home of the Hungarian national football team, and many football clubs hold their most important international matches here as well.
The state-of-the-art institution capable of housing 70.000 spectators was opened on 20th August 1953. Over the last sixty years it mainly served as a football and athletics stadium but from the 1980’s the most famous Hungarian and foreign performers held their concerts here as well.
On the occasion of the 75th birthday of the legendary left midfielder, the institution officially received the name Ferenc Puskás Stadium in 2002.
At present only the lower stand and parts of the middle section are useable, the rest of the spectators’ area is in need of renovation. Capacity: 38.000 spectators.
address: 1146 Budapest, Istvánmezei út 3-5.
Manager of the institution: Ferenc Németh
Director of the Olympic Centre of Budapest: György Kis
The Ferenc Puskás Stadium is located in district XIV of the capital and is easily accessible by public transportation or by car.
Underground (Metró): line 2, Puskás Ferenc Stadion
Bus: No. 95
Trolley bus: No. 75, 77 and 80
Tram: No. 1 or 1/A
There is a parking lot that holds 350 cars available for the VIP guests of the events located in the area of the Olympic Centre of Budapest.
The Ferenc Puskás Stadium is equipped with a UEFA certified football field of 105 x 68 metres in size anda top quality athletics track with eight lanes that is suitable to host international competitions.
Service facilities: 5 changing rooms (2 of them equipped with a pool and sauna), drug testroom, stand of 160 seats for the press, press/conference room of 130 seats, glass-VIP of 2×50 seats, VIP stand of 244 seats, VIP room of 60 seats.
The Southern training field is located next to the stadium and consists of a 105 x 68 metres large football field and a 400 metres long Rekortan track with six lanes.
The several thousand square metres area of the stadium’s Statue Park is well suited to host mass sports events and other outdoor activities.
The Ferenc Puskás Stadium is the most important and largest sports institution of Hungary. The location of football matches attracting tens of thousands of spectators and high ranked athletics competitions. This is the home of the Hungarian national football team, and many football clubs hold their most important international matches here as well. There are 5-6 athletics competitions hosted in the stadium every year.
In the Southern training field next to the stadium athletes of the national teams and clubs (mostly track and field athletes, penthatlonists and wrestlers) hold their daily trainings.
Any person is allowed to use the Statue Park next to the stadium for sport related activities. Many people use the field for running or playing football, and the frisbee is considered to be a popular pastime as well.
It is possible to tour the stadium in groups but a registration in advance is required.
The Ferenc Puskás Stadium and the nearby several thousand square metres large Statue Park have served as the locations of many mass sports events, sports days, festivals, concerts, business parties, dog exhibitions, religious events for the past decades. The organizers of such events are allowed to use the changing rooms next to the sports fields, the VIP rooms and the conference roomsas well.
Further information: email@example.com
92.000 spectators watched the Hungary vs England football match on 24th May 1954. The end result was 7-1 for Hungary.
The EuroBasket of 1955 was hosted in the stadium on a mobile field with parquet flooring. Hungary won the tournament.
In 1955 the matches of the Hungary-Chile Davis Cup were played on a cinder covered tennis court in the presence of 30.000 fans.
The first director of the People’s Stadium was Imre Németh, the Olympic championin hammer throw. His son, Miklós Németh, won the gold medal in javelin throw. It was the company of Imre Németh that manufactured the new Rekortan track of the stadium prior to the 1998 European Athletics Championship.